For this chord progression, you can add in a minor chord if you want where the asterisk (*) is. You don’t have to, though. The chord you would add is the minor 6th (explained later in the section on Minor Chords. For now, if you started with a G, play an Em. Here are the possible substitute minor chords:
I / / / | IV / / I |IV / I /(*) | I V I / |
1. I'm down in the jail on my knees etc.
2. They feed me on cornbread and beans etc.
3. Two dollar shoes hurt my feet etc.
4. Ten dollar shoes fit me fine etc.
5. New York water tastes like turpentine etc.
6. Goin' where the water tastes like wine etc.